Writam Changkakoti, a visually impaired musician was born on 14 august, 1991 at Tezpur, Assam. Music being his passion, Writam started learning Tabla from childhood under the tutelage of Mr. Akan Kalita and further pursued higher lessons under the superb guidance of nationally acclaimed Mr. Paban Bordoloi. He earned Visharad degree at the age of 12. Apart from Tabla; Synthesizer, Piano, Guitar are but a few of the instruments that he can play. He learned Keyboard and Accordion from a renowned music director Late Partha Pratim Choudhary and Piano from Mrs. Promiti Phukan.
Writam has won the mind and love of thousands of people by introducing his debut album”Writam’s Jyoti” in the year 2005. This album was released by the heart throb singer of Assam, Zubeen Garg, at Don Bosco Institute, Guwahati among thousands of music lovers. He had also launched his second album “Black Shining” in the year 2006, introducing himself also as a composer. Moreover, he had scored the background music for a short feature film “Roses may not be Red”, and the film was awarded the Rainbow award in 2007 in Kolkata.
Presently, Writam is also the Keyboardist for a few bands where he also performs the recording, mixing and mastering duties.He is also involved in a duo project with his friend Bhargav Talukdar called “B n W”. Besides Keyboard, he also occasionally serves as a multi-instrumentalist for the band Wing of Flames. Previously he has also worked with several other loca bands, namely “Hamsadhwani”, “Revolution” and “Chamber”.
Besides music, Writam also excels well in the field of academics. He started his schooling in Jyoti Niketan (school for the blind), where he completed fifth standard. He secured 83% marks in his matriculation exam from St. Francis de Sales High School under Secondary Education Board of Assam. He also secured 81% in his 12th board exams from Guwahati Public School under Central Board of Secondary Education and scored 99 in Psychology. He graduated with major in English Literature from Narangi Anchalik Mahavidyalaya under Gauhati University in the year 2014 and completed Mastersdegree from Cotton College State University in 2016.
Some of the achievements of Writam are as follows:-
- A recipient of special scholarship from New Delhi based, “Centre for Cultural Resources and Trainings”.
- In the year 2005, selected among six children from Assam (India) who were felicitated for their own talents, organized by “arohan” in the memory of Dr. Bhabendra Nath Saikia.
- Performed in the program “Chemonia chara” of Guwahati All India Radio as a teenager.
- Awarded”Jyoti Award” specially for Tabla by Governor of Assam 2003.
- Awarded the “Young Achievers Award” in the year 2008 by Oil India Limited, Guwahati.
- Performed in International Trade Fair-2010 (Asom Divas), New Delhi with the band Hamsadhwani, serving as their Keyboardist.
- Awarded with “Outstanding Individual Award-2010” by NGO “Atma Nirbhar Ek Challenge”.
- Awarded Best Instrumentalist Award in the Reality show “Pulse” aired on Rang channel.!